Friday, February 20, 2015

Probably a Pessimist

This is the saddest story I have ever heard. It is the one about what could have been. He almost lived. But he didn't. The word “almost” gives us false hope because for a split second, we get our hopes up just to be knocked down. So much could have happened, but it didn't. He could have grown up and made it through life. He could have gotten the chance to grow old and watch his grandchildren grow taller everyday (or at least it seemed like it). But none of that happened because we don’t have control over the universe and I guess that some of us were meant to exist longer than others. Why is it that some babies die after their first few hours of life yet the oldest person to ever walk this earth lived to 122 years of age? I sometimes wonder what determines how long we will have to spend here. It seems as though from the very first breath we take, we are dying, some faster than others. When I think about people who died too young or too soon, I think about all the things that they could have done. But I guess that we will never get the chance to find out what they could have done with their life. People say that life is short when it the longest thing that we ever do. But when it comes down to it, almost is worse than nothing. It’s like losing your eyesight and then getting it back for a few minutes, but then losing it again forever. Life doesn't always turn out the way that we want it. When I think about all the things that go wrong and all the things that we will never know, I just try to hold on to the fact that sometimes, ignorance is bliss. But when it comes time for me to leave this life behind, despite all of the chaos, I will realize that this is not the scene I dreamed of. Like much else nowadays, I leave (life) feeling stupid, like a man who lost his way long ago but presses on along a road that may lead nowhere. 

1 comment:

  1. Your wise line "from the very first breath we take, we are dying" is powerful. I can see using it as a motivator rather than letting it bring us down.

    ReplyDelete