Wednesday, May 6, 2015

I guess this is the final

During this quarter, I think that I have written a lot more in my own personal journal than in the journal for this class. I tend to have to censor things to make it school appropriate. I wrote a piece in my school journal called “She’s Not Me” and I don’t exactly know what it’s about, but I kept picturing a random girl by the ocean and all the things that she Is like..so I just wrote about that. I think that one of my favorite pieces this year was one of the ones published in the Think Magazine. It was the one about the tides and although I wrote it in about twenty minutes, it turned out pretty well. I guess I should stay up late and be sleep deprived more often because that’s when it seems like my writing is the best.

Recently, I haven’t read that much, other than long text posts on Tumblr. But I did start reading “Tell the Wolves I’m Home” and the first chapter made me a little bit teary eyed so I feel like that will happen throughout the rest of the book. I’ve also read other classmates’ posts on their blogs and it’s cool to read all the different writing styles that everyone has. Some of us as funny and creative while the rest of us are realistic and kinda sad. But I guess it works both ways and it’s so cool to think about how we all sit in the lab and listen to the sound of fingers typing on the keyboard but then we get so many different kinds of writing and I think that is beautiful.

When I set up my blog, it reminded me of when I first got a Tumblr account. Except it wasn’t as confusing this time and it was actually really easy for me. I came up with the name for my blog by using the name of my main Tumblr blog. I really like the word “misadventure” because it means mistakes and I think I’ve made enough mistakes to be able to name my blog “misadventure”. I also had a hyphen in it because that’s how it is on tumblr and that’s only because someone already has the url I wanted without the hyphen. That’s alright though, I still like my url. I think that the only people that have read it are people from this class but I would find it really cool if I found this blog one day in the future and go back and read what I was like when I was some dumb 18 year old in a little town that seems so insignificant. I don’t know if I will continue to write on this blog, but I do that I’ll continue to post on tumblr for a long time. I can’t exactly say that I know what I’ll write about because I write when I feel like it and I write for a ton of different reasons.

A lot of the writing in my journal doesn’t make sense. I find that I write a lot in the late hours of the night and early hours of the morning. I think I just write about things that are happening to me like as if I’m going to find some kind of answer by writing down my feelings and basically complaining to a piece of paper. I don’t think that I want anyone to read my journal but I do know that I will journal forever. I don’t think I’d be able to function without it because I wouldn’t know how else to express myself since I’m not very good at talking about things. I’ll write about life in general and I guess I’ll document this weird rollercoaster that I’m on.

Journal Entry: “Dear dad,
                                                I hate you. (x30)
                                                                I’m sorry, I love you.
                                                                                                -Laura


I’ve always been shorter, smaller, and less important.
Sometimes I think I might be a part of the sky.
Or maybe a piece of driftwood.
Sailing endlessly, pointlessly.
I think that’s all I will ever be.
You’ve always been the moon.
You change the tides when you’re around.
You are the entire ocean at every depth.
Vast and unfathomable.
How lovely.

I don’t know if I’ve ever considered myself to be a creative writer but I do write a lot in my spare time whether it be in a journal or on a back of a receipt. I didn’t change my writing that much so I don’t know if I was creative….but I hope I was. In the future, I know that I will keep on writing so if my writing this quarter was creative, then I guess I’ll be writing creatively for the rest of my life. When I write, it’s like a everything that I feel can be let go without hurting anyone because I can write things and never tell anyone. I’ve never been the kind of person to talk about my feelings to a person in person but I feel like I can so that through my writing. Lol that was cheesy and gross.

Finally, I’m so glad that I am getting out of this town. I’ve never stayed in one place for more than two years and I’ve been in Missouri for almost 3 now. I can’t wait to meet new people and make new memories but I’ll never forget the people that I’ve met here and in a way, a part of me will stay in this little old dreadful town in the middle of nowhere important. I don’t think that was inspiring, but I’m just glad that I made it this far and this is only the beginning even when it felt like it was the end at times.







1 comment:

  1. You've said it well: This is only the beginning. I know you're ready to move on. But I'm sad to see you go and I have enjoyed getting to know you, through your writing and our chats in class. You have a gift with words and I'm glad you find writing to be a comfort and an outlet. I hope you keep reading Tell the Wolves I'm Coming Home--I found it to be wonderfully written and also quite sad and heartwrenching (your favorite). Please let me know if there's ever anything I can for you. You know where I'll be! XOXO

    ReplyDelete